Thinking of baking for cookies to nibble on? How about making so cute cat cookies! I love the picture above, they are using a Halloween cookie cutter set, but there are also heaps of other great sets out there which are more simply cat sets.
Cat Cookie Cutters
Click on the links below to find cat cookie cutters for sale online at Amazon.com. Having a good cutter set it the first step to making great cookies! The next step of course is to make sure you have a great cookie recipe! Scroll down for my cat cookie recipe! We particularly love this cookie cutter set on Amazon: R & M International “When the Cat’s Away” 6 Piece Cookie Cutter Set
Simple Cat Cookie Recipe
You will need:
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup custard powder
How to make:
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg. Beat until combined.
- Sift flour and custard powder over butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir to combine. Divide dough in half. Press each half into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll each disc out between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Using your cat cookie cutters, stamp out cookies and arrange on tray. Make sure not to put the cookies too close together so they touch! Otherwise they will not come out of the oven in their separate shapes
- Bake in a moderate oven for 10-12 minutes. Make sure to take them out, they are still a little soft to the touch. Remember they will harden more when they cool and you don’t want to overcook them!
- If you have the time and patience, use a piping bag to decorate with little cat faces, ears, whiskers and paws. Also another good idea is to add a collar and put a chocolate M&M for the ID tag!
- Enjoy! Nibble on with your friends
Main image by Katsoulis, 2008.